PMO Legal Specialist
A. Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The Government of Mongolia has received financing from the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Green Climate Fund (GCF) and High-Level Technology Fund (HLTF) toward the cost of the Ulaanbaatar Green Affordable Housing and Resilient Urban Renewal Project (AHURP). The objective of the project is to transform the highly climate-vulnerable and heavily polluting peri-urban areas of Ulaanbaatar (ger areas) into low-carbon, climate resilient and affordable eco-districts. More information about the project can be obtained from https://www.adb.org/projects/49169-002/main.
The Municipality of Ulaanbaatar (MUB) will act as Executing Agency, with responsibility for implementation supported by one Project Management Office (PMO) and one Project Implementation Unit (PIU). The Capital City Housing Corporation (NOSK) will serve as PMO and manage overall project physical implementation.
B. Scope of work
The Legal Specialist will be responsible for providing legal support in the implementation of the project, including the policy reform and all matters concerning contracts with contractors, consultants, and PMO staff as well as internal policies and procedures to make sure that all binding documents are in compliance with the legal and regulatory requirements under the relevant laws and regulations of Mongolia and ADB and other co-Financier’s policies and procedures.
The Specialist will report to the Project Coordinator, and if applicable, MUB, Ministry of Finance (MOF) and ADB. Required inputs are 42 person-months on a full-time basis and the contract will be established on a yearly basis in accordance with Government Resolution No. 176 and No. 4 of the Minister of Finance.
- Periodic (weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual) progress reports to various stakeholders of the project;
- Finalized legal framework, written opinions, legal recommendation and legal assessment, official letters, documents and agreements required for all stages of the project;
- Control and monitoring reports as well as checklists, manuals, plans and finalized project documents, and
- Dispute resolution.
D. Required Qualifications, Skills, Expertise and Experience
- Minimum of Master’s degree in laws, legal studies or related fields;
- At least 5 years of preferred professional experience, including 5 years’ experience in contract management, legal compliance, disputes and conflict management in land and urban development;
- At least 3 years of working experience in developing countries with projects financed by the ADB or other international finance institutions;
- Ability to work closely with national and local governments;
- Knowledge on litigation and legal contract, agreement, acquisition and resettlement procedures and documentation;
- Good management, communication, interpersonal and motivational skills;
- Knowledge on the judicial system and procedures, and
- Excellent written and spoken English.
E. Application Submission Procedure
Interested candidate should submit an application consisting of the following documents, prepared in English and Mongolian language:
- Cover letter explaining the reasons for applying to the position, describing how the candidate’s qualification, skills and work experiences meet the selection criteria
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two reference letters from previous employers, and
- Notarized copies of all diplomas and certificates.
All documents should be enclosed in a sealed envelope that indicates the applied position and delivered to the below address by 4:00 PM on 11 September 2023.
Attn: Altangerel D, Head of Economic Development, Public Private Partnership Department,
Governor’s Office Of The Capital City
Office #301, The Capital City Governor’s Office
Sukhbaatar square 6, 1stkhoroo, Chingeltei district
Ulaanbaatar 15160, Mongolia
Please note that the submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.