PMO Environmental Safeguards Specialist
- Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The Government of Mongolia has received financing from the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Green Climate Fund (GCF) and High-Level Technology Fund (HLT) toward the cost of the Ulaanbaatar Green Affordable Housing and Resilient Urban Renewal Project (AHURP). The objective of the project is to transform the highly climate-vulnerable and heavily polluting peri-urban areas of Ulaanbaatar (ger areas) into low-carbon, climate resilient and affordable eco-districts. More information about the project can be obtained from https://www.adb.org/projects/49169-002/main.
The Municipality of Ulaanbaatar (MUB) acts as an Executing Agency, with responsibility for implementation supported by one Project Management Office (PMO) and one Project Implementation Unit (PIU). The Capital City Housing Corporation (NOSK) serves as a PMO and manages overall project physical implementation. The PMO intends to recruit a qualified Environmental Safeguard Specialist to ensure adequate environmental management requirements in line with the ADB Safeguard Policy Statement and the government environment management guidelines.
B. Scope of work
The Environmental Safeguards Specialist shall be responsible for effective planning, implementation and delivery of environmental safeguard of the project. The Specialist will work under the direct supervision of PMO Coordinator and report to the PMO, MUB, Ministry of Finance (MOF), ADB, GCF and other financiers, when applicable.
The required inputs are 42 person-months on a full-time basis and the contract will be established on a yearly basis in accordance with Government Resolution No. 176 and No. 4 of the Minister of Finance.
C. Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
The Specialist shall carry out all phases of implementation of AHURP in line with environmental requirements and regulations of ADB and the Government of Mongolia, according to following specific tasks, but not limited to these only:
- guide the PMO/PIU/consultants and relevant stakeholders to ensure proper environmental safeguards are streamlined and accomplished in all stages of project implementation; and ensure to comply with the GCF requirements and take necessary measures to achieve the intended overall objectives;
- provide support towards the Policy Reform Area A: Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation of the Project, through advising and carrying out climate change mitigation and adaptation study and awareness; and measures for more resilient, inclusive, low-carbon, participative, and livable urban areas; greenhouses operation and urban farming; community-based solid waste management, waste segregation and composting;
- carry out environmental assessment throughout the project cycle;
- carry out the implementation of the environmental management plan (EMP), including measures for information disclosure, the grievance redress mechanism (GRM), and the process for continued consultation with and participation of affected people during project implementation, and review and update the EMP, when necessary;
- execute EMP implementation schedule and cost estimates periodically;
- be responsible for undertaking Information Disclosure and Meaningful Consultation and Participation measures and effective GRM and its reporting in line with the ADB guidelines and contribute significantly to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to ADB’s safeguard policies;
- update General Environmental Impact Assessment (GEIA), Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), when necessary, during project implementation and before the succeeding tranches;
- develop and implement the Environmental Monitoring Program (EMoP), and ensure its reporting as required by project agreements;
- engage with the project team to resolve corrective actions, complex environmental protection issues to ensure environmental safeguards;
- ensure that an appropriate environmental and social management system (ESMS) is in place;
- provide guidance to relevant stakeholders to minimize all potential environmental impacts or disturbances during the implementation of the project, and to carry out necessary actions to ensure appropriate site and soil remediation and protection;
- ensure the application of pollution prevention and abatement measures during project implementation and advise on technologies and practices consistent with international best practices;
- undertake management of waste and hazardous material, resource use efficiency and conservation and reduction of GHG emissions and protection of Physical Cultural Resources (PCR);
- provide guidance and carry out implementation and monitoring of the occupational and community health and safety and as well as biodiversity conservation and protection measures;
- assess institutional capacity and provide capacity building trainings for key stakeholders in areas related to implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the environmental safeguards and management and climate change;
- review issues in environmental safeguards, which arise during project implementation and affect quality and compliance, and recommend on actions to be taken to overcome any problems; and conduct compliance monitoring of environmental and safeguards issues, to formulate corrective actions where necessary;
- prepare periodic (monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and annually) reports and submit to ADB, the GOM and other relevant stakeholders;
- be responsible for preparation, establishment, updates, review and assurance of the environmental safeguard documents, primarily of the Environmental Management Plan, Environmental and Social Due Diligence Reports (ESDDRs), and relevant track record systems, guidelines/templates/checklists, categorization forms, and ensure compliance with the Environmental requirements and regulations;
- ensure bidding documents contain relevant reference to environmental safeguards, review and approve environmental documentation, environmental monitoring reports submitted by the construction contractor(s), and conduct regular site inspections, identifying environmental non-compliances and preparing Corrective Action Plans (CAP);
- manage and lead for climate vulnerability and risk assessments, adaptation plans, and preparedness plans;
- conduct air quality monitoring (both outdoor and indoor) at fixed locations, before, during and after the development of eco-district;
- undertake greenhouse gas emission reduction calculation at the all phases of the project and recommend best ways of reducing the GHG emission at each level and process of the project implementation;
- Establish a safeguard grievance redress mechanism in consultation with ADB and the government and in accordance with the provisions of EMP, and ensure that safeguard-related complaints are adequately considered and dealt with.
- Inception report including an implementation plan of EMP and DDRs
- The AHURP Project Coordinator will undertake annual (and ongoing) reviews of the professional performance of the environmental safeguard specialist.
E. Required Qualifications, Skills, Expertise and Experience
- Minimum of master’s degree in environmental studies, environmental management or related fields;
- More than 5 years of preferred experience within international, multi-stakeholder engagement projects;
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in environmental safeguards, environmental management, and climate change;
- A solid understanding and familiarity with ADB Environment and Safeguard guidelines and standard procedures;
- A solid understanding of project implementation policies and procedures adhered by the GOM and ADB;
- A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of social and cultural environments and of issues related to land redevelopment;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team work skills, and
- Strong verbal and written skills both in Mongolian and English;
F. Application Submission Procedure
Interested candidate should submit an application consisting of the following documents, prepared in English and Mongolian language:
- Cover letter explaining the reasons for applying to the position, describing how the candidate’s qualification, skills and work experiences meet the selection criteria;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Two reference letters from previous employers, and
- Notarized copies of all diplomas and certificates.
All documents should be enclosed in a sealed envelope that indicates the applied position and delivered to the below address by 4:00 PM on 27 December 2023.
Attn: Mrs.Ariuntsetseg S,
Specialist at the Department for Economic Development and Public and Private Sector Partnership
Office #207B, The Capital City Governor’s Office
Sukhbaatar square 6, 1stkhoroo, Chingeltei district
Ulaanbaatar 15160, Mongolia